PDA

View Full Version : First thing you noticed

Pone156tfo
11-06-2001, 01:41 AM
Hey all you goons and goonettes out there in cyber land. What was the very first time you noticed Graffiti and what did you notice first. For example I first noticed giant colorful fillin's and insides on Bronx trains in 1975 or 76 on our way to Grandma's apt.

imported_NOVAGIRL
11-06-2001, 03:29 AM
the first shit i noticed was a SERG tag back in 95 maybe 94...but that was way before i picked up a can...you got me beat by twenty years but i still love you

xiderock
11-06-2001, 03:53 AM
newark on rt 21 and turnpike heading up toward the lincoln out in the boonies by seacaucus...

Pone156tfo
11-06-2001, 03:57 AM
To whom are you refering? Me myself and I or SERG? Let me make this clear I may have noticed graffiti at that time but I didn't pick up a can for the purpose of bombin until the end of 1984, into 85. Ahhhhhhh the 80's. Rockkkkkkkkkkkk on forever. Huh? Well thanks for listening anyway, i'll be going now.........

Peace:D

(ence
11-06-2001, 06:03 AM
I first noticed it when i was walking through the drainage tunnels in a commercial district of Colorado Springs, CO when i was around 9 yrs old
i saw some hemp leaves of course, a few fuck yous, some initials, and some alright outlines.

sieb
11-06-2001, 07:15 AM
I remember seeing Saber and Gkae up in seattle, I remember them specifically, cause i aske dmy dad what "Say-bra" and "Ja-Kay" meant, what inspired me was this dude painting the redmond freewall "Taz" i think, he showed me some basics. and then I just went off into my own little world

Vanity
11-06-2001, 07:30 AM
dunno who.. but i remember seeing marker tags on signal boxes on corners in poorer neighborhoods in milwaukee in like... 86-87? i didnt understand them. i thought it was spanish or something.

mopius
11-06-2001, 08:48 AM
74 and 75..damn your old

fatlaces
11-06-2001, 01:51 PM
i remember some dudes coming to paint my local school in the mid 80's they did some smurfs and a few bubble letters.

i liked the smurfs. i was about 6 or 7. :)

imported_graffitiSUX
11-06-2001, 03:36 PM
3/4 years old in the back seat of my parents car driving over the train lines and seeing scribble on the wall and wondering what it meant. that is one of the earliest memories i have.

imported_tEkRoCkS
11-06-2001, 04:16 PM
from the time i was born my pops was a truck driver he would take me with him all the time up to nyc and i could remember lookin at the highways and anything else i could see w/ graff on it and i was like holy shit this stuff is great how do they do it.. i was so amazed and look at me now i do this amazing shit...........werd up:cool: :cool: :cool:

Pone156tfo
11-06-2001, 04:32 PM
Your absolutely right i'm old I wearing depends now and ohhhhh i filled them again darn it tooooo many prunes. Well I have to go clean up now it's rather smelly I dare say... Ohhhh I've FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

cdz
11-06-2001, 05:23 PM
i first remember seeing graf on a railway overpass. the kids who did it climbed way out on it above the highway and did it. that took some fuckin balls. that was in 93, but i came in the picture long after that.
-cdz

imported_CATS
11-06-2001, 05:42 PM
The first time I reallly noticed it was in Beat Street/Breakin Movies. I tried writing then but at the tender age of 8 there is only so much wreck you can catch before the street lights came on.

Cracked Ass
11-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Funny you should ask...
YOU!!!
Heh heh...
The day I was inspired to pick up a can, it was from walking the train tracks through this tunnel. There was a Monk piece at one end, a Sick/Pone duo piece at the other, and a whole bunch of nice shit in between. I had seen graffiti before, out of the corner of my eye, but nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me by the eyeballs. Within the week I had a name and my first wack 3D sketch drawn up, and started getting busy. I later changed my name to disguise the wackness, as many do, but I never looked back.
If you're the Pone I'm thinking of, then you were part of the day I got converted. I should probably buy you a beer...or some prunes.

Pone156tfo
11-07-2001, 02:57 AM
Are you from Beantown? I did a nice piece up in Framingham with Sick back in 1995 thereaboutz. I didn't know there was a tunnel up there. Yeah but Sick is peeps a 156 Guru all the way live and direct.

I'm glad I was one of the instraments that corrupted you into a lifestyle of chaos and mayhem. Yes a Guiness ale would be nice if you get around to the liquor store. Hit me off witha a fleamail and we'll chat

Peace Love and Deoderant

:D

11-07-2001, 03:44 AM
sometime in the late 80's i saw some work in a park up in rochester, ny. it was pretty, the fall leaves were blowing around and there were all these vibrant colors on the walls of this tunnel that went under something. i didn't pick up any cans because of it or anything, but it left an impression.

Esai
11-07-2001, 04:50 AM
I GREW UP IN PROJECTS AND THEY WERE COVERED IN GANG GRAFFITTI AS WAS EVERY INCH OF MY HOOD IN THE EIGHTIES BEFORE THE CITY BUFFED EVERYTHING. CHAKA LIVED BY ME AND ID ALWAYS SEE HIM AND SLEAZ, ALSO CAB'S HEAVENS. MY GRANDPA HAS A FLIK OF A WHITEFENCE TAG IN THE 50'S THATS OG GRAFF.

Pone156tfo
11-07-2001, 05:24 AM
So what your sayin is that LA now has buffed all the Gang shit?
How many active gangs are there in East Los now currently, I know there are alot of em? What are the hottest running right now?

I live on the East Coast so i'm not knowledgable I've heard of 18th St, Grape St, but that's about it.

Peace Love and Deodorant

onesandzeros
11-07-2001, 07:41 AM
tags in bathrooms at hardcore shows, risk9 and simon ssc bombs in springfield and surrounding areas.

iCEBERG
11-07-2001, 08:13 AM
i swear to god when i say this an im not trying ot be stupid, but the first time i saw it, it was painted on the street right in front of my driveway and in big red letters it said "FUCK" in real shitty writing. an it happens to be the first word i learned to.... read. i saw that shit everyday like 3 times a day. and one day i just said "fuck" and since then ive become a fucking genius, all thanks to those 5 little letters outside my door.

Pone156tfo
11-07-2001, 02:45 PM
Thanks for responding and I don't wanna sound anal but you meant to type 4 little letters right?

Peace :confused:

taper
11-07-2001, 06:36 PM
fr8s fr8s fr8s

MESTHREE
11-07-2001, 06:45 PM
The first graff I ever saw was this cat Pez who was up all over the west end of toronto in the 80's this must have been arround 85 I think.. maybe a bit later than that...Also the keele wall along the bloor danforth subway line....I used to check that out every time I rode the subway as a kid. And not to forget Ren.

Risky Sizzle
11-07-2001, 08:26 PM
task tdee panda chester joust bombs Jersey City Heights and down by Hoboken.

imported_crso
11-07-2001, 09:43 PM
ive always noticed graff in my neighborhood . but it wasn't til the mid to late 80's that i started to appreciate it. that's when a bunch of murals were going up it my neighborhood . i would go and watch them while they were going up and try mimic them on paper. i was real young so i would draw things around me and graff was one of them.

-sudz-
11-07-2001, 10:17 PM
when i was like 5 or 6, every time my mom went to get the dry cleaning i'd go with her, because if i waited patiently in the front seat, she'd bring me out one of the candies from inside.... so while waiting in the front seat of me car, there was this tag on the wall "jayo" it said. the O is a smily face, it seemed friendly... that introduced me to graff... then when i was like 12 i saw some of my friend's sisters hip hop mags that had graff, there was papers with her trying to copy what she saw. i tried too.... and it stuck.

Fox Mulder
11-07-2001, 10:37 PM
when i was 7 i took a train trip to minn. and i remember seeing graff but nothing in specific. then a few weeks later i remember thinking. how did they do that? the only thing i remember from them was this beaver face with big buck teeth and the beaver was wagging its tale. i think it might have been in chicago but i'm not sure.

imported_Spoter
11-08-2001, 08:50 AM
the first time that i REMEMBER seeing or noticing graffiti was prbably in 3rd or 4th grade.it was a tag in our school yard.i never paid attention to the scribble until a friend pointed it out and claimed the scribble said something.the first time i learned about graffit though was watching beatstreet repeatedly on tv.by that time i was already into hip hop, and i had always drawn pictures.you could say i'm one of the few i know that was introduced to graffiti through hip hop rather the opposite.than again,of course there's a lot of people have no interest in hip hop eithe.:cool:

the leech
11-08-2001, 06:42 PM
when i was 8 yrs. old or so, seeing smurfs painted on the trains in DC on the way to the zoo. they were stamped all the way down the thing.i can't recall any letters, i just dug on those smurfs.

DJRE45KINGS
05-12-2004, 12:44 PM
NINO AND J.LO(JOHNNY LO) TAGS----EARLY-MID 80'S CHILL J.C.

rubbish heap
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
seeing METRO on a freeway overpass when i was little.

seeing a production under a bridge when i was little.

ODS-1
05-12-2004, 02:31 PM
In 3rd grade passing through a viaduct full of awesome tags everyday.

Gunm
05-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Riding on Bart with my mom out to my grandmas house in pleasenton. WHere the old Sears building used to be in Oakland on east 14th there was a huge production (I think joker had a part in it. Didn't he get shot at while painting it?) and I was just amazed by it. There's very very little of it left now and I can only fill in the blank spots with my memory.

My mom used to have an art studio in berkeley and while she'd paint I'd walk around and check out the tags and pieces thinking to myself "goddamn, how do they do it?!?!?"

My friend nate in high school turned me on to graff and the first mag I ever picked up was Can Control number one.

CrazyLazy
05-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Growing up in SF/Oakland in (my opinion) the glory days of early to mid 90's, I saw a bunch of great stuff. I don't remember any specific times, but my big brother would point things out to me saying things like "that's twist. he's awesome." or "see that guy Giant?" But I do remember one time, I was coming across the bridge from Oaklnd to SF with my family and I saw a Rem Horse on this fence right before the bridge. I just knew her as the "horse lady" before i started remembering all the "names."

SWIMS
05-12-2004, 09:10 PM
STL-Loki Earl and Slug throw on 40 and Grand. On the bus in 3rd grade my driver used to stop and talk to her friend and there was a wall in the alley. Stun wall on streetside. I also remember these wheatpastes on the highway, they had an N inside crosshairs.
-When my mom moved out of the city there were old train lines in our backyard. Under the highway there is a newa and poser burner and this neigborhood kid that wrote moza. When I found out they were from the east it made me think how they ended up under a suburban overpass in St. Louis.

NO- A jes straight letter on the bridge as you go across the lake.

staE
05-12-2004, 11:44 PM
the first time i realized graffiti was when i was like maybe 8-10 years old, i would see this "SRIN" throw-up all over the place, but i had no clue what it was. i believed that it was a gang thing, and my brother and i would always see them around. haha, it was cool. oh btw, im in toronto.

snowkid
05-13-2004, 12:42 AM
it was third grade, a kid in my class' brother was trying to write, and me and my friends thought it was so cool. i learned what a tag was and i started paying attention to shit on the local walls where i lived.(milford, ct at the time). i remember kayo was up everywhere.

Talon
05-13-2004, 12:59 AM
I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and my class took a field trop. We rode the train to wherever we were going, and I remember seein a lot of stuff. The one thing that I really remember was an angry lookin spraycan character on a rooftop. I had no clue what it meant, and it kinda scared me until I really looked into it.

InnerCityRebel
05-13-2004, 02:00 AM
i would have to say 88 or there abouts.I would see it in the LA river off the 134 all the time..Shit is started to fade through the old ass buff..Wow that brings back memories

InDY_500
05-13-2004, 02:21 AM
I remember seeing a huge mural on my way to the bowling alley....It had three graffers holding onto a pole while a dragon/krylon can was spitting fire......It had a huge impact on my life....Ill try to find it.

adderall
05-13-2004, 01:52 PM
tags on lightpoles in the 80s and then bombing on all of the buildings facing the highways

InDY_500
05-14-2004, 10:58 PM
This is the flick of what got me hooked....

[img]http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Ryke1/General%20Graff/d567c342.jpg'>

wreck one
06-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Vanity
dunno who.. but i remember seeing marker tags on signal boxes on corners in poorer neighborhoods in milwaukee in like... 86-87? i didnt understand them. i thought it was spanish or something.

:lol:

RubbeRBand
06-14-2004, 01:12 AM
MASS PIKE

onlyneedexperience1
05-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Hey all you goons and goonettes out there in cyber land. What was the very first time you noticed Graffiti and what did you notice first. For example I first noticed giant colorful fillin's and insides on Bronx trains in 1975 or 76 on our way to Grandma's apt.yo I remember this kid used to write NOMAD, he used to do mad font styles, but the one style that I saw him up with was a red,orange,white, and black jumbo throwie. The way he used the colors gave the effect that the letters were melting away and dripping downward. Have yet to see this style duplicated. I have'nt seen any NOMAD stuff since. That was 84'.

Flavicon
05-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Big ol' silver Sivel on a billboard on the way to the supermarket with my ma. bout late 80's. Blew my mind

RiSC
05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
RISK 9 and SIMON... i remember going to work with my pops over the years, and during lunch wed grab some food and chill in the train yard.. also remember other early Springfield writers..

FUCKMUNI
05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
in san francisco riding the buses with my moms and seeing all these kids hop on buses, fuck them up, yell at riders, start mad shit. i remember i went home and bombed all my toy buses and cars.....i forgot about graffiti for a long time untill i hit high school and ran into other writers....

Schnitzel
06-04-2006, 04:55 AM
1988 a guy leant over a fence and dropped a tag above the window of the train i was on straight in front of me.
the ion 1989 a picee by Dmote had a charo with a bong saying "75% of sydney's crime is drug related.. this is no exception"

the seeing a train come in to my station with about 5 carriages painted window down by ????

blew my fucking mind!

loafybrown
06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
The first thing I took notice of were the sketches in kid's binder covers at school in 8th grade, and then restroom tags from a b-boy kid that went to the same school, and eventually everything else on the streets by different writers.

In 8th grade, I asked this b-girl about a sketch in her binder cover, and then she asked if I wanted my name done, so I said OK. then the next school day she had my name written really funky and mad flavorish, and ever since then I was drawn to the style of the letters.

that's what really made me get into it myself to start sketching, hitting and bombing; style, maturing my writing style.

makeithappennn
06-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Graff really caught my eye when I first started going to hardcore shows in about 98-99,the places I went to were covered with handstyles..never thought it would become such a large part in my life.

Flavicon
06-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I think it was about 90 or 91, but i noticed a big silver 'SIVEL' on a billboard off the expressway on my way to get groceries with my ma. Blew my mind

Bhagavad-Gita
06-25-2006, 03:54 PM
the first graff i ever really noticed was when i was younger going back home to philladelphia every summer...taking the speedline into the city and seeing all these weird, scary ass marks that i couldnt read everywhere....got alittle older, living down south, lots of gang graffiti caught my attention...from then on, i learned alot more about this shit that i have a love/hate relationship with...

bokals..
06-25-2006, 04:01 PM
maybe Pe....
88?....

TheCosbyFamily
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
The first thing I noticed was a big salt piece on a local highway, had me turning my head every time.

stunt double
06-26-2006, 10:54 AM
i remember seeing gang graffiti in watsonville CA, after watching a movie with my sister, i was about 5. After that, seeing Dorps, Ksino, Damet, and other old school Brisbane Australia dudes.

MDMA
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
i remember a tag when i was like 4 years old, looked almost like my real name, only 1 letter difference, since then ive been "tagging" my school books with my own name , then when i was like 14 i started to do real graffiti letters etc.

DONT WORRY BOUT IT
06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you from Beantown? I did a nice piece up in Framingham with Sick back in 1995 thereaboutz. I didn't know there was a tunnel up there. Yeah but Sick is peeps a 156 Guru all the way live and direct.

I'm glad I was one of the instraments that corrupted you into a lifestyle of chaos and mayhem. Yes a Guiness ale would be nice if you get around to the liquor store. Hit me off witha a fleamail and we'll chat

Peace Love and Deoderant

:D

thats wat got me writing i was from boston now im in ashland right next to framingham and i would always see that piece

Iron_Lung
06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
in a drainage ditch that tunnelled under the street i grew up on. it was just a marker hit up that said "Michael was here". i wasnt diagnosed with the graffiti disease until much later but i remember being really intrigued by it.

jimmy.
07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
7 line spots on the way home from school. i noticed darks and utz first and then started looking out the window every day to see if there was anything new

07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
first thing i saw when i was a kid like 4/5 yrs
this fresh 'ACRE' character of a boy & his dog outside a 7/11
must be like 15 years old by now & it is still fresh

~>MooseKnuckle<~
07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
the first day i rode the subway i noticed Cope2 and GatoRIS fillins everywhere. Jon156, Sane and Smith had taken over the D's with huge clover green throw ups. Then a few weeks later
i got on a train that had the windows covered and this poor hasidic jewish dude missed his stop because of it. those are my first conscious memories of graffiti.

kasa
07-16-2006, 02:14 AM
ha im still a toy, but i remember, when i was about 5, i was riding my bike, and i saw this huge graff throw, but then i didnt care what it said. anyway, i got out my watercolor markers and drew a big X on the wall, ruined my marker, after 15 minutes of waiting for the cops NOT to come I did another with another color. I went back the next day and it was gone. I felt so hardcore, even though it was gone. hahaha. then when i turned 13, i was at my grams house and i saw a huge piece on the side of a train that read "feria", ever since then iive been obsessed with graff.

*edited for typos*

european union
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
when i was five or 6 seeing rainman tags everywhere...going to london seeing straight letter dubs...
then i started loving it when i went to paris which was grilled...o'clock jon tran..etc

karma....
07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
some fume tags on a shit high spot on the way to london,bout 1 or 2 years ago

i know ive seen paintings before that in my hometown but this was the earliest memory when i can actually picture it in my head

tango 24
08-05-2006, 12:14 PM
sketches done by a good mate, other people i knew had been in for a bit.
just the amount of graffiti thats out there if you look, still get a kick out of seeing stuff up on the f-line.

CALIgula
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
about 85 or 86.....id see an "aero" tag on this sign advertising an apartment complex every day i passed it...then about 88 i saw a teenager go behind a bus stop bench, pull out a can and spray something on the back....it was around sunset, but it was obvious what he was doing..

estaked
08-16-2006, 12:44 AM
when i was visting NYC when i was bout 10

Marlboro
08-25-2006, 04:29 AM
i saw this cat Taki183 doing a write around washington heights and asked him for a smoke... he gave me the can instead and gave me the name i still write today. that was decades ago...

sleptembers
09-09-2006, 03:59 PM
The highways on the way to the mall,there was this legde, i later learned, it was by worker (waste, rsk) Ewok and Ultra.. i didnt know shit though at that time, 92 or so, then a year or two latter i was just always coming in contact with it, first an issue of the source in study hall in middle school, i remember arab and roach flicks, i lost my mind i had never seen a nyc subway train painted before, but it wasnt untill i saw americas most wanted a few weeks later where they profiled the up and comming problem of tag banging that i was actually inspired to venture out out to the highway and jump on on a guardrail and hit a sign, ( i think i probally had a sharrpie though!!) after that going to buy trees in the hood i saw locals such as Sel rsk, Gzabel, power rsk, Rue, Sop, and GA nsk from brklyn, who i latter met on the street in bk.. funny to think john walsh gave me that xtra push..:p

LOTUS of Weaver Heights
09-10-2006, 05:21 PM
First time i saw graffiti wuz on the side of a frieght comin through NokeTwon, 540. I didn't think nuthin of it, I was a lil' geek in like, 5th grade thinkin that's just what happens to old shit that sits in one place to long;: punks paint it. But then I developed soul in middle school and started to feel the art, ya know? I played this game... Jetset for XBOX, it wuz pretty ill, it had inline techno and graff and i was a fan of the first two, as I looked through the library of graff art in the game (actually pretty decent even lookin back) I realized how sic it wuz, and how it was related to the scribble on the trains, and how they both came from the same culture that brought me hip-hop and electronica and finally a fusion of the two, it all meshed so well. I wuz always puttin up rebel political posters in middle-school, but I didn't know that wuz graff-related. Now whevener I'm sittin at a crossing and i see a sic piece roll by on a heavy-ass frieght, it's like a fuckin treat. I saw an OBEY giant poster on a lamp post in a parking lot the other day and it made my day.

just bomb it
09-10-2006, 05:46 PM
in san francisco riding the buses with my moms and seeing all these kids hop on buses, fuck them up, i forgot about graffiti for a long time untill i hit high school and ran into other writers....

co-sign

NOVA-3dc
09-11-2006, 02:22 PM
One of the first bits of graf I saw was a Phatboy tag near my house... I think some Bomb Squad and Royce throwies downtown.

One of the writers that really got me interested in graf was ItsMe, as well as THiNK

But these are all island writers, so you guys dont know'em... here, take a look at some flix:

ItsMe: http://www.lounge37.com/bb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=2660&pid=121350

BombSquad: http://www.lounge37.com/bb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=2660&pid=121470

Phatboy: http://www.lounge37.com/bb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=2660&pid=121472

Royce: http://www.lounge37.com/bb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=2660&pid=121500

THiNK: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Rakumari/100_0121.jpg

Super Z
09-13-2006, 01:34 AM
i saw this cat Taki183 doing a write around washington heights and asked him for a smoke... he gave me the can instead and gave me the name i still write today. that was decades ago...

I smell BULLSHIT

delonemonkey
09-13-2006, 02:05 AM
when i was like 9 i saw this guy hitting up one of those red emergency things while i was in the car with my mom

.bokbokbegok.
09-14-2006, 06:40 AM
when i was 8 in 91'at my cousins house in sacramento..he was in a crew called B.R.I..

laughslast
10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
first thing that got me interested in graffiti......
reading about stuff preserved in pompeii for hundreds of years
and seeing my brother do it. rip

pedoe
10-24-2009, 04:47 AM
oakland tracks on the way to school

nightbandit
10-24-2009, 05:38 AM
I can remember lookin at a water tower every day with graff on it since i was like 3.And watching it change as years went on...i started by carvin initials in hidden parts of furniture at my house,lol seen one today from 96.haha smoke L;s

yonis
10-24-2009, 03:35 PM
i remember back in like 98 99 when they had all the homeless people living under the fdr and what not in nyc.... so i'm sure i noticed some graf but idk.. then in 06 istarted noticing it more cause i was giong to school in the city and was older... outside of my school i'd always see a chino truck... and then from there i was looking out the windows of the train into the tunnels and i liked it lol

wisetuxedo
10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
my buddies and i were walking to find some random waterfall or somwthing and we walked under a bridge covered in pieces, addicted ever since. i didnt know anything like that could exist

THEATK
11-01-2009, 02:03 PM
in my city
kc
DASE EAST piece
shit was dope

Skeletorrr
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
an Obces Vatoe wall in St.louis...LD.

Nag One
11-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Back in like 96' I started noticing all these freights and I thought some dudes took stencils to do their letters.:lol:

iDarien
11-02-2009, 05:37 AM
growing up in brooklyn ny i saw graffiti often but what actually had an impact on my was this crazy piece i saw on the way to school in the fourth grade everyday. i didnt know what it said but i thought it looked sick. i asked my bro what it said and he didnt know either. remained a mystery but between that and my brother i decided to start writing. i thank the dude that did that he changed my life.

gala0817
11-02-2009, 04:42 PM
a nosey throwie on top of the chinese place next to the corner store, walked past it for years wonderin how did he get up there???

Ignition
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Bronx Highway Graffiti in the 90's always caught my eye on the way to see family. Then in the later 90's Bran dym came to my city and killed it.
So I wrote my initials for the longest time until i met another writer....and one thing led to another and the rest is history

rice eyes
11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
visiting my grandmother when i was younger, she lived by some tracks and we would watch freights go by, I always thought they took days to do one piece, heh...

yonis
11-03-2009, 06:34 AM
i remember back in like 98 99 when they had all the homeless people living under the fdr and what not in nyc.... so i'm sure i noticed some graf but idk.. then in 06 istarted noticing it more cause i was giong to school in the city and was older... outside of my school i'd always see a chino truck... and then from there i was looking out the windows of the train into the tunnels and i liked it lol

i also remember back in the early 00s i was at my brothers frieneds house i think maybe it was NSITE and he was showing me and my bro mad pics of his on billboards trains and all over lol

fishinginthedark
11-03-2009, 07:40 AM
A detr water tower close to where I grew up was the first thing I remember seeing my mind was blown with the how did he do that and so on. Always seeing Diar tags and trains was what always caught my eyes and inspired me to start he just killed it where I was from

stevem.yzerman
11-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Back in like 03' This dude named TURTL had Detroit on fire for like 18 months. That dude was up every where and he used to draw these turtles the same one everytime. People took notice media coverage, huge rewards, a documentary. He was like Motown's Bansky. Thats when I got in to writing.

DocOne
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
harsh piece on the side of a ramp at a local skate park.

BOILFAST
11-12-2009, 05:45 AM
The first thing I can remember was waaay way back, driving on the highway i saw this storage containder, the ones they load on freights, and it had full stone-like letters, silver fill, and I just thought "Damn I wanna do that..."

sausage party
11-13-2009, 08:48 PM
this was the first thing that made me focus my destructive ways into paint
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2573073653_4bf0c6e0e2.jpg
Houston.

SAVEmoneyson
11-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Chicago...a SKOL throwie on damen and wellington on an old building that was condemned...that was prolly in 99 or 00, and it's still there to this day(albeit faded)

YTG
12-03-2009, 02:30 AM
rebel in l.v with the fam in the early nieities,
hostess spot
cab

Asian Eater
12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
When I was about 5 years old and I would ride the bus around with my mom to places. We would sometimes sit in the back and I would be there peeling and looking at the dried up acrylic tags on the seat. I remember seeing them in pink and yellow and plenty of other times fat Pilot tags on them, as well. Those brown Metro seats.........

HardKore
12-04-2009, 03:49 AM
I saw some aboriginal flag marker tags on a wall in my street. Thought they were square poke' balls.

yusr
12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
when i walked into the water cannel near our house and noticed my brother and his friends doin some bubbles on the walls

exparefroft
12-18-2009, 06:07 AM
I dont understand the site with taken characters and stuff aaaannnnnnnd why so many sites. Cant we just stick to one and all get along and discuss everything about TW?

going back to check it out some more.

Freshysnapper
12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
I remember seeing it in Minneapolis when I was a wee lad. Then in my early teens seeing it in skate videos got my hooked. All the ramps and shit I built were painted on right away. Too out of shape and old to skate now!

yomommasaho
12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Rt 9 south, new Britain CT, MEST roller letters on a train bridge goin over the hiway.
i looked at it and thought to myself " thats not a billboard or a road sign, so it was
def not done by like a company or the government or something. but who did it?

xXxKaDeTxXx
03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
myy cuzNss shit..madee me wanna be as good as hiM!

n8galicia
03-23-2010, 04:24 AM
I NotiCed AlL dEm G4Ng$t4H 4$$ kIdZ aT SkOO wIt dAT GHEtTo AZZ WritTing on Dem BackPaKs aNd I wanT3d to D0 d4t $hyt

massgraff
02-25-2011, 10:55 PM
deck throw ups and straight letters on the A line in ny, and a couple guys in my hometown's throws when i switched schools and started going to the other side of town in 2nd grade.

yuanyelss
02-28-2011, 06:48 AM
I remember them specifically, cause i aske dmy dad what "Say-bra" and "Ja-Kay" meant, what inspired me was this dude painting the redmond freewall "Taz" i think, he showed me some basics. and then I just went off into my own little world...

Tory Burch Wallets (http://www.tbshoppingmall.com/C-21-b0),Tory Burch HandBags (http://www.tbshoppingmall.com/C-12-b0)
Tory Burch Kids Flats (http://www.tbshoppingmall.com/C-22-b0),Cheap Tory Burch Boots (http://www.tbshoppingmall.com/C-6-b0)

Tysn
02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
First REALLY noticed when i was 13 on a mission trip with my youth group to chicago, as we drove around i would just gaze endlessly, even in spots without alot there was always atleast a tag(just had to look for it sometimes) and that kinda became a game id play in my head, trying to find it. One main peice stuck out to me on a stores roof top, a name with a badass dinosaur towering over the name, and then after about 2 years latter and 1 more mission trip to chicago and another to st.louis it was in my head, would always be scopin freights behind my friends house. Then one day on youtube i came across Infamy on youtube, started sketchin nuthing special, stopped for a while(like 2 years) but remembered one day how much i loved that movie so i watched it again, then started watching any graff movie, and now im REALLY into it

silent bob
10-21-2011, 11:54 PM
i grew up in a house less than a block from open tracks so its been all my life i used 2 sit and watch em go bye

IllSkillet
10-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Riding the red line in Chicago with my mom downtown and seeing tags and rooftops on the insides in the early 80's, specifically remembering the "Return of the Kings" rooftop, reminded of this in the late 90's with a flic sent to me, thanks Net... then moved to Evanston, like a mile away from a yard out there and eventually stumbling across it when my family and I were taking our dogs for a walk, in around 87 or 88... seeing dudes like Rone, FEDS crew, and a bunch of others, specifically remember the one with the duck on it... then moved to the far suburbs and I picked up a copy of a magazine with some pieces in it as well as seeing stuff on what was the WC mainline, although there was not that much, that was in 1991...

silent bob
12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
i cant remeber the first 1 i saw but it feels like its always been a part of my life

Saderone
03-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Saw a couple little tags on parks and whatnot, but didn't grasp it until I saw this kid KNOWN getting up with solid scribs. He's stopped writing now mostly, but a couple of the older cats I've painted with know him; I've gotta meet him and give him a big thank you to getting me into graff.

CleanSlate
03-24-2012, 01:27 AM
First noticed it being stuck at railroad tracks for 10 minutes when I was probably 7 or 8... The wildstyle ones caught my eye especially. Didn't actually get into it until kids started acting like retards and scribbling dumb shit on the wall and calling themselves taggers. I don't really get interest in anything until I see people trying and thinking they're hardcore after failing miserably...