1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please contact us and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the new 12ozProphet!

check out my new toy...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by zorak, Nov 9, 2002.

1. zorak

zorak 12oz Member

check out my new toy...

Discussion started by zorak - Nov 9, 2002

jealous?

http://www.wholenote.com/images/store/small/MC_EHDMM.gif'>

you're jealous.

zorak - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  2. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 9, 2002

http://newcamp.net/hector/images/swishballz.jpg'>

First. And no.

3. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

mikro137 - Replied Nov 9, 2002

ohhhh shit! thats whats up. i have a big muff , my favorite distortion pedal ever. electro harmonix makes some dope ass shit. so does danelectro. theyre gear is near indestructable and is just really really nice soundidng. i have the fab tone. second best distortion pedal ever.

4. Dyptheria

Dyptheria Guest

Dyptheria - Replied Nov 9, 2002

thats pretty cool, but i'm not jealous. i have all of those effects plus phaser and delay in one rack. and if you're an analog snob, well i got an MXR phase90 and a vintage MXR flanger.

5. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

im not a big fan of rack mount shit.... too plasic sounding , bout what kind of foot swith do you use. im just interesed

6. Dyptheria

Dyptheria Guest

actually the big muff has been changed several times over the years, so it depends on which era big muff you got if you wanna say its the best ever. i had an old army- green one which rocked, my friend bought this newere white colored one that i didn't care for. superfuzzes were good dist pedals too. for simple dist though, i stick with the old school ibanez tube screamers

7. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

i have a late 90s black big muff. i had the said green one years ago , but it broke , and me being an idiot got rid of it (35 bux to fix this , nah ill just get a new one...wow im stupid). i am partial to the origional fuzz face that plugged into the body of the guitar. that was a great fuzz.

what kind of guitar do you have ?

8. zorak

zorak 12oz Member

zorak - Replied Nov 9, 2002

i am an analog snob, so...

your rack gear is of no interest to me, but at least you have the MXR gear for redemption.:p

superfuzz is the shite, i've got one of these:

http://www.analogman.com/graphics/blkcatsf.jpg'>

best fuzz on the market. the distortion signal is a saw wave as opposed to the square wave in most fuzz pedals.

as far as the big muff is concerned i haven't come across one that i have liked. i hear the potential for great tone in a muff pi, but i haven't come across the right pedal. the ones i have played seem too compressed.

i'm more partial to the proco rat myself.

[img]http://www.procosound.com/musicians/rats/vintage.jpg'>

much better sound than the muff in my opinion. to my ears there seems to be more depth to the tone and level of distortion, even at lower settings.

9. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

the rat is ok... depth is what you want , check out the mesa boogie v-twin. that shit is really fuckin fresh. tubes in a pedal. who would have thought that would be a good idea...

10. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks 12oz Veteran Member

ElectricitySucks - Replied Nov 9, 2002

that baby scared the shit out of me

ElectricitySucks - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

fr8lover - Replied Nov 9, 2002

ive been scheming on a big muff for awhile. ever since i heard thats what they used on "siamese dream" ive been wanting that sound forever.

12. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

fr8lover - Replied Nov 9, 2002

until then, ol faithful gets me by...

its really a great pedal. nice sound

[​IMG]

13. Dyptheria

Dyptheria Guest

oh that boss distortion pedal is bad. just throw it away. get a good old fender or marshall for basic distortion, and if you want extra gain throw in a boss overdrive or an ibanez tubescreamer, or if you want extreme fuzzy distortion, add a big muff, fuzzface, or a superfuzz. thats it. you should get your basic tone from your amp, first and foremest, not a pedal, trust me, when you're on stage you don't wanna fuck with a pedal that changes the your entire tone. your pedals should "enhance" the tone that a good amp shoudl supply.

14. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

yeah i have a shitty ass amp. but , when thats all you can afford , thats what you use.

that ds1 got me though alot of rough times when my last band was playing together. nice brittle ass no warmth tone. perfect for buzzsaw guitar riffs. but now im more into thrash , and greaser punk , so im actualy looking for tone.

15. zorak

zorak 12oz Member

zorak - Replied Nov 9, 2002

boss pedals suck...

seriously. i generally view boss products as tone bombs. not good, but as i already said, i am an analog snob.

when it comes to the rat, only the vintage model cuts it. all the other models are a bit over done. most people disregard this pedal because it has such a cheesy name, i sure as hell did at first, but when i played it... shit is off the hook.

i'm sure the mesa boogie sounds nice, but i'm not into paying fourhundred bucks for a stomp box. my rat cost me fifty dollars out the door brand new.

as far as finding a "siamese dream" big muff, you are going to have to look long and hard* to find one with the right tone. there are a lot of big muffs out there and many of them sound like shit. production practice/quality as well as parts in these boxes varried greatly from year to year.

that's how sustain punch found their niche in the market:

http://www.musictoyz.com/creamy.gif'>

"SustainPunch Creamy Dreamer Distortion Sustainer - The Creamy Dreamer was designed to produce smooth, rich, warm distortion, and fuzz. It's ability to make a guitar sustain with a fat and creamy tone has caught the eye of the Smashing Pumpkins', Billy Corgan."

basically if you want the classic "big muff" or "smashing pumpkins" tone, save your pennies and buy a sustain punch. billy corgan did.

*homosexual undertone