History of the Spot: Yonkers Power Station
Yonkers Power Station, also known as the Glenwood Power Station was built in the early 1900’s in order to develop the New York Central Railroad. When it was completed, 1906, the factory stood on the shore of the Hudson River, a spectacle of engineering and architecture. In the 1960’s when municipal power became cheaper and more reliable, the plant was shut down. The monumental stature of the building, surviving windows, dissonance of their colors and paint stains, all together, tell about a life long lived, this building is truly beautiful and full of history. Since then it has become a location traveled by urban explorers and graffiti writers. In 2008, the residents of Yonkers and the Kingdom Baptist Church created a petition in order to get the plant demolished, but have been unsuccessful in doing so.
See also: History of the Spot: The Bat Cave
A video showing around the factory:
Also check out a video from Pallium exploring the ruins of New York:
Text: Mika Altskan
Photo: Lydia Chebbine